Wednesday, April 13, 2022

For Heaven's Sake … Seriously!

 idiom

Definition of for heaven's sake

used to make a statement or question more forceful or to express surprise, anger, etc.

S - "And now I stand here on trial because of my hope in the promise made by God to our fathers, to which our twelve tribes hope to attain, as they earnestly worship night and day. And for this hope I am accused by Jews, O king! Why is it thought incredible by any of you that God raises the dead? … At midday, O king, I saw on the way a light from heaven, brighter than the sun, that shone around me and those who journeyed with me. And when we had all fallen to the ground, I heard a voice saying to me in the Hebrew language, ‘Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me? It is hard for you to kick against the goads.’ And I said, ‘Who are you, Lord?’ And the Lord said, ‘I am Jesus whom you are persecuting. … To this day I have had the help that comes from God, and so I stand here testifying both to small and great, saying nothing but what the prophets and Moses said would come to pass: that the Christ must suffer and that, by being the first to rise from the dead, he would proclaim light both to our people and to the Gentiles.”" (Acts 26:6-8, 13-15, 22-23 ESV)

 

O - Saul of Tarsus was not converted to a new religion; he was transformed by a person … a person who never even said the word Christian. He was not convinced by theological argument but by an experience of presence. He was not called to a cause or worldview but to a person named Jesus whom God raised from the dead. His entire existence, after his encounter with the resurrected Jesus (Acts 9:1-19), revolved around three key realities; realities which filled his life and even his legal defense in Jerusalem (cf. Acts 22:6-16, 23:6), Caesarea (cf. Acts 25:13-19) and Rome. These realities are the name, person and resurrection of Jesus.

 

A - Religion wants converts made by information. Heaven wants children made by the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead. Religion wants its adherents to pursue and follow an "approved" worldview. Heaven wants its citizens to pursue and follow a person. Religion will call the world to a cause and Heaven calls the world to a person … follow me is the call and Jesus is the person. For Heaven's sake and for my own I want to live out loud the realities heaven gives to all people … the name, person and resurrection of Jesus.

 

P - Only True Friend of the Entire World,

Thank you for inviting the whole world to yourself. Thank you for your name, presence and resurrection life made available to all. I welcome you, your presence and irrepressible life to come into me and hope that such will come out of me for your sake and for the sake of all, me included. Thank you that you want us to hold every life in the hope of transformation, especially our own. 

All my love,


Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment