Friday, March 25, 2022

Following? … Experiments Required

S - "Jesus replied: I am not teaching something I thought up. What I teach comes from the one who sent me. If you really want to obey God, you will know if what I teach comes from God or from me." According to John 7:16-17

 

O - The way (apparently the only way) to validate the teaching of Jesus as coming from God is by how we live rather than by how we understand scripture. The capacity to recognize the source of his instruction is obtained by doing his words (obey) not just studying them. Following is less about what we’re reading and more about how we’re living. Religion places emphasis on saying words out loud and Jesus invites us to live them out loud. 

 

- Following consistently inspires and requires me to engage “experiments” in doing the words of Jesus. Since the bulk of his recorded teaching (over 90%) is about life on earth, here and now; there’s a large volume of opportunities to live out experiments on forgiveness, money, neighbors, fruitfulness, stewardship, etc. His instruction is always simple not always easy. For me, these experiments, this doing, not only confirms the source of his teaching but results in a relational beauty he describes as “the light that gives life.” 

 

P - Friend, Shepherd and Teacher,

I welcome you and your words in my life unto ongoing experiments and the light that gives life. Thank you for the invitation to follow, to believe you about earth and not just about heaven; to experiments in living day by day.

Still Amazed,

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment