Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Unreasonably Together

S - “Would you really die for me?” Jesus asked. “I tell you for certain that before a rooster crows, you will say three times that you don’t even know me. Don’t let your hearts be troubled! Have confidence in God and have confidence in me. There are many rooms in my Father’s house. I wouldn’t tell you this, unless it was true. I am going there to prepare a place for each of you. After I have done this, I will come back and take you with me. Then we will be together. …  Peace I leave with you. My peace I give you. It isn’t like the peace this world can give. So do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid.” John 13 &14 TS

O -These words of Jesus are spoken in very close proximity to a great and public failure on the part of all of those closest to him … and Peter will lead the way. In light of such catastrophic failures on all levels there is no scolding, no lecture, no guilt. Instead, there is a clarion call to personal confidence in the one they are with, the one they will fail. His confidence in the outcome, regardless of such heartbreaking desertions and denials, is relentlessly unflickering. They will be together! Don’t let your hearts be troubled or afraid. 

- In the face of failures, private and public, the world (secular and religious) demands that my heart and mind be troubled, afraid. It insists I suffer a complete loss of confidence and prepare myself for the worst (and deserved) possible outcome. Jesus is teaching me to send this reasoning back to hell where it came from. He has never asked me to place confidence in myself or in my capacities to perform anything. He calls me to himself and to confidence in his person and in person of his Father; and to refuse a troubled or fearful heart because of them. His desire is not found in flawless performance but in relational authenticity … failures and all. He is preparing a specific and personal place for each one and he himself is the way. His only desire is that we be together with him. I am remembering the thief on a cross next to Jesus … today you will be with me in paradise.

- Amazing Lord,
Amazing love, amazing grace, amazing life … together this day and every day because of who you are. Thank you for wanting us at our worst and not just at our best. For loving us simply because you do … no performance, no relational tightrope, no conditional approvals. Imperfect as I am and as my love is … I love you back with my all! No to troubled and fearful thinking and living. Yes to you … to confidence in you and your unconditional love. 
Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment