Friday, April 14, 2017

The Truth about Enemies of God

S - “For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him, and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross. Once you were alienated from God and were enemies in your minds because of your evil behavior. But now he has reconciled you by Christ’s physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation—” Colossians 1:19-22 NIV

O - Reconciled enemies is a marvelous thing. It is essential to admit that while most relational dynamics require the participation of both parties, being an enemy can be engaged by only one side. The Father of Jesus never was and never will be an enemy of humans, even wicked ones (cf. Luke 6:35-36). Instead, in almost unimaginable love he sends Jesus as his message and gift to the entire world; no exceptions. The reconciliation is not God to his enemies but his enemies to him. As is stated elsewhere: “God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting people’s sins against them.” 2Corinthians 5:19 NIV

A - The religion of Jesus' day presented, and the religion of my day presents, God as an enemy. Jesus presents him as a Father loving, wanting and reconciling all people to himself. It's not that we have no choice in the reconciliation -- it's that he's made his choice and will never change his mind. He has never been and never will be my enemy … but I have been his enemy. The mystery of his love is that he refused to be mine. I am amazed, and continue to be amazed by him and his relentless love. He's not saying I will if you will. He's saying I do, will you? I will!

P - Our Dearest Father in heaven,
Thank you for loving and reconciling everyone and everything in Jesus.  Thank you for loving us because you love us; not so we'll love you back -- but you want us to love you back. I love you back and am fully accepting your adoption and reconciliation. Thank you for freeing me/us from all accusation … and for refusing to be my/our enemy.
I will live and pray in Jesus,

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment