S - "You search the Scriptures, because you think you will find eternal life in them. The Scriptures testify of me, but you refuse to come to me for life." According to John 5:39-40
O - In these two sentences, spoken to the Scripture experts of his day, Jesus delineates for all people the purpose of the Scriptures and the distinction which is often overlooked or ignored. The purpose of the gift of Scripture is not primarily informational but relational. One can read, study, meditate and even pray the Scripture and not be coming to Jesus for life. To miss this critical point is to completely miss the purpose of the Scriptures. The distinction? Scriptures don't reveal him they testify of him; to inspire and provoke an intentional interaction with the person of Jesus only made possible by God’s Spirit (cf. Matthew 16:15-17). Religion teaches people to equate information with relational intimacy; to pursue more information but to talk about it in relational terms. The result is an informed fantasy of what Jesus must/might be like; it’s actually a pretending to know when one only knows about. Heaven's unyielding intent is that Jesus is known, not just known about.
A - I lived a lot of my life not knowing, understanding or experiencing this critical reality. The things of Jesus (i.e. the Scriptures, prayer, meeting with other followers, etc.) are wonderful and helpful gifts. They can inspire me, clear and even settle my thinking. Nevertheless, they are not Jesus himself. They cannot and do not replace direct and intentional interaction with the person of Jesus. They do not give vibrant irrepressible eternal life. The “things” don’t transform, love unconditionally, give life or any of the other multitude of dynamics that I desperately need in ongoing frequency. Heaven is inviting the world to a person not just information about that person. He says “Come to me and I will give you rest … Follow me and I will make you …”
P - Lord who is Life,
I am not turning to the Scripture, to your principals, teachings, miracles or history; I am turning to, coming to, you yourself as you bid us all to do. I thank you for this great dignity of choosing in reliance upon your Spirit to enable this wonderful person to person experience and exchange. I am so grateful that you know me/us and want me/us to actually know you.
So glad to be following you,
Steve
No comments:
Post a Comment